If you read the previous post, then you know how much I have wanted to recreate a particular apron that I found in a painting. I had even expanded it into an entire collection. I began the process by searching for the fabric needed. I found possibilities, bought the fabric samples and dove into the process.
I stitched the desired ribbon onto the various fabric samples.
It all looked so lovely and promising. I was excited.
Then the washer machine happened. All designs must face the washer and dryer. If customers can’t wash what we create, well that’s just dumb. The final results were horrible. Not one of the new fabrics survived the washer and dryer, not even a little bit. A few of them shrunk unimaginable amounts, making me question if I had recorded original measurements correctly. How can there be a 50% shrinkage rate?? Was I drinking?
In total dismay, I stood speechless, staring at the huddled pile of wrinkled mess on the table. There wasn’t one sample that would work.
So there it ends. I give up. I cannot make the Apron collection of my dreams because the washer and dryer ate those dreams.
The earth must continue to revolve without the lovely collection I would have presented……*sigh*…… This would all be less heartbreaking if I was the type of person that could let things go. Unfortunately I am not. So, I am moving onto the next collection of Aprons but I will keep an eye out for the soft hand of my dream cotton, just in case an angel tosses it into my lap.
One lesson I have learned, just because someone paints it, doesn’t mean I can transpose it into real life….or at least so far….